Friday, March 8, 2013

The Art of Fred Folsom

I first read about Fred Folsom and his painting in Issue #2 of the arts journal, IMAGE, which was published in the Summer of 1992.  This issue is still available at the IMAGE web site, for the price of $12.  I would urge fans of Fred Folsom's art to get this while they still have them.

When that issue of IMAGE arrived in my mailbox, I devoured the article on Folsom immediately.  Mostly, I was stunned by his paintings.  They were exactly what I would have wanted to paint.  Here is the center panel of his master work, "Last Call" (at the Shepherd Park Go-Go Bar), which was featured in the article.  It is a triptych consisting of three 6-foot by 6-foot panels.




I got the impression, both from the article and from the images of the paintings themselves, that Folsom identified with his subjects.  Indeed, that he knew and loved them, warts and all.

I wouldn't say that, in my novice art "career" at that time, I emulated Folsom exactly.  But I will say that from the first time I saw his work, he has steadily occupied a certain portion of my mind, and of my vision of what it is to be a Christian artist.




Recently, as I have contemplated the creation of a somewhat Folsom-esque painting of my own, I have had reason to go back and do further research on Folsom and his art.  In doing so, I have come across two excellent documentary videos on YouTube.  The first is about 8 minutes in length, and the second is longer, about 27 minutes.  I recommend them both.  They give you a good sense of the artist and the world which he inhabits.  Of particular interest to me were interviews, many years later, of some of the patrons captured in the "Last Call" painting.

Also of interest to me was the fact that Folsom continued to "touch up" this painting for 9 years after its completion!


 

Here are the two documentary videos:



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Rod,
Gorgeous piece. It's like my website, only better.
Fred Folsom

Anglican Beach Party said...

Thank you for your comment, Mr. Folsom! You're one of my art heroes. I tried doing one painting in this style, though not NEARLY on this scale. It must be good, because my wife makes me cover it up. LOL

WassermanIllustrations said...

I still have one of your life drawings from Pratt, when we sat next to each other.
Doing good Furd.❤️🙋🏻‍♀️Randie W.

EsotericA said...

I'm almost certain that's my Grandmother serving drinks at Mr.Folsom's table (in the foreground of "Last Call.."). Looks just like her, and she worked at The Shepherd Park at that time. I'd love to hear from anyone that recalls that place in those days. I've heard a few stories from family, but they were pretty young at the time. I'm also wondering if a large painting that hung in my Grandmothers apt for years was possibly a Folsom as well.

Anglican Beach Party said...

Hi, EsotericA ...

Wow! That is so fascinating!! From what you've said, it sounds as if it probably is her in the painting.

Have you any photos of the painting that used to hang in your grandmother's apartment?

Yours truly,
Paul Erlandson
Hot Rod Anglican

EsotericA said...

I don’t think I have it an any my photos. I feel like there is at least one photo with it in the background but I’m not sure who would have it. The painting was a nude lady laying down (I think she was on a couch). There was a cat in front of her. I was really young so I don’t recall it perfectly but it is still etched somehow in my mind.